23rd Annual Alumni-Student Career Conference
Saturday, March 1, 2014
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
The deadline for registration has passed and registration is closed.
For more information about the Alumni-Student Career Conference, please contact
We invite all alumni to participate in the 23rd Annual Alumni-Student Career Conference on March 1, 2014 at the College of Law. Through this conference, we bring together the newest members of the College of Law to spend a day with our distinguished alumni. This conference serves as both an introduction to the profession for our first year students, as well as a day to foster and strengthen the College of Law community. We're confident that the insights you share with our current students will serve as a compass to them as they navigate the pathways of their legal careers from now forward.
Like previous Conferences, the 2014 Conference will primarily feature:
- Panel Discussions: Students are eager for you to share your professional stories with them. No particular expertise is required to serve as a panelist – we want you to talk about your experience and share advice on what students can do now to help them prepare for their transition to practice, including: how to develop professional networks as a student (and why they should start now), what you wish you would have known as a student or would do differently if you could go back in time, best practices on how to engage and build mentoring relationships with alumni, and how professional communication can help build your personal brand and your career.
- Networking Luncheon: You will be matched with students who have expressed an interest in learning more about your practice areas and practice setting where you can share insight on a variety of topics of interest to the students, including: What is your practice like? What steps led you to your current position? How can a student assess whether a similar career would be a good fit for him or her?
- Small Group Discussions: These sessions will allow students and alumni to get to know each other better and discuss a diverse range of career and/or practice-related topics of interest to the group.
- Networking Opportunities: On Friday evening, February 28, we'll host an informal welcome reception at a local establishment for alumni and students to mingle in a relaxed setting and to give students an opportunity to practice their networking skills. On Saturday, March 1, following the scheduled afternoon activities, an informal reception will end the conference.
In prior years, many employers have generously made financial gifts to support the Alumni-Student Career Conference. These gifts enable us to host the conference free of charge to students and alumni volunteers. As a sponsoring individual or organization, your name will appear in all ASCC signage and print materials, and you will have the opportunity to distribute information and marketing materials to our students throughout the day of the conference at individual tables in the Peer and Sarah Pedersen Pavilion. Please consider sponsoring the 23rd Annual Alumni-Student Career Conference in your name or in the name of your firm or company.
Three levels of sponsorship will be recognized:
- Gold sponsors - $500 or more
- Silver sponsors - $250 to $499
- Bronze sponsors - $100 to $249
Please contact Maria Saez Tatman at (217) 300-5648 or email@example.com to learn more about becoming a sponsor. The Alumni-Student Career Conference would not be possible without your loyal support and enthusiasm. Thank you!
We have reserved a limited number of rooms at the I-Hotel and Homewood Suites for the evenings of February 28 - March 2.
I-Hotel – $129.00 + Tax
1900 S. First Street
Champaign, IL 61820
On hold until February 10
Homewood Suites – $109.00 + Tax
1417 South Neil Street
Champaign, IL 61820
On hold until February 15
Visit the University of Illinois Calendar to find out what events are taking place on campus during your visit to Champaign. Below is a sample of events or places to visit on campus:
- Comedian Jeff Dunham, 2/28/14. 8:00 p.m., State Farm Center
- Venice Baroque Orchestra, 3/1/14, 7:30 p.m. at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
- Illini Women’s Basketball vs. Iowa, 3/2/14, time TBA
- Spurlock Museum, open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday, and 12 - 4 p.m. Sunday. The museum’s five galleries house exhibits representing peoples of the following cultures and geographic areas of the world: Ancient Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt, and Africa; Ancient Greece and Rome; East Asia, Southeast Asia, and Oceania; Europe; and American Indian Cultures of North and South America.
- Krannert Art Museum, open 9 a.m - 5 p.m. Friday, and Saturday 2 - 5 PM.
For more information about the Alumni-Student Career Conference, please contact:
Maria Saez Tatman
Associate Director, Career Planning and Professional Development
University of Illinois College of Law, Suite 101
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 300-5648