5th U.S. Supreme Court Admission Ceremony
June 8, 2015
The University of Illinois College of Law is pleased to announce a unique opportunity for its alumni to become members of the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States in open court on June 8, 2015. A Schedule of Events for the day, qualification information, and registration instructions are detailed below. Please email us with questions or to indicate your interest in participating.
Schedule of Events
In order to qualify for admission to the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have been admitted to practice in the highest court of a State, Commonwealth, Territory or Possession, or the District of Columbia for a period of at least three (3) years immediately before the date of application;
- Have not been the subject of any adverse disciplinary action pronounced or in effect during that three (3) year period; and
- Appear to the Court to be of good moral and professional character. (This requirement is evidenced by completing the Application for Admission to Practice, which requires the signatures of two sponsors. See Step 2 below.)
There are two ways for applicants who meet the above-mentioned criteria to gain admission to the Supreme Court Bar:
Open Court Admission
In this admission, the applicant is present in Court on June 8, 2015, during a special session. Due to the size of the courtroom, only 15 Illinois law alumni may be admitted in open court. These slots will be awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis, according to the date that the College of Law receives your completed application and online registration. Each person being admitted to the Supreme Court may bring one guest into the court to witness the ceremony.
Written Motion Admission
If you are unable to attend the swearing in ceremony, you may be admitted by written motion. There is no limit on the number of alumni who can be admitted by written motion.
Register online. Registration includes continental brunch at the Supreme Court, admission ceremony, history of the court lecture, post-ceremony luncheon, and tour of U.S. Capitol.
- Complete the Application for Admission to Practice
Instructions for completing this application
Please note: You will need two signatures from sponsors who are members of the Supreme Court Bar, know you personally, and are not related to you by blood or marriage. Sponsor signatures must be in original ink on the same page; scanned signatures and/or signature in counterparts is not allowed.
Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing from the presiding judge, clerk, or other authorized official of the highest court of a State, Commonwealth, Territory or Possession, or of the District of Columbia, evidencing the fact that you have been a member of the Bar of such court for at least three years and are in good standing.
Mail the completed Application for Admission to Practice, Certificate of Good Standing, and a check for $200 (admission fee) made payable to “U.S. Supreme Court” to the following address by April 13, 2015:
University of Illinois College of Law
Office of Advancement
202 Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Avenue
Champaign, IL 61820
Attn: Jenny Carroll
To be considered for admission, the College of Law must receive both your online registration (Step 1) and mailed materials (Step 4) by April 13, 2015.
- Children under the age of 6 are not allowed into the courtroom for the ceremony.
- While only one guest is officially allowed in the courtroom, the court will work with us to try to accommodate additional guests.
- If you have any questions, please contact Jenny Carroll, Director of Alumni Relations, at (217) 244-6765.