Those admitted to the highly selective program must demonstrate analytic and research ability, possess outstanding academic credentials, and have completed the LLM at an accredited U.S. law school. The successful candidate will also have excellent English reading and writing ability, a demonstrated commitment to developing the skills and background of a successful scholar, and have a research interest in one of the College of Law’s specialty programs.
Graduate College Online Application
Application fee is $90 USD. Applications are only accepted through the Graduate College. Applications submitted through LSAC will not be considered. All JSD applicants must complete and submit the Declaration of Finances.
Declaration of Finances
Application requirements include:
- 5-10 page research proposal with evidence of preliminary research on the topic and anticipated research methodology
- Personal statement indicating career goals, relevant past experience, and reasons for selecting the Illinois program
- Current curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference including at least one from an accredited U.S. law school
- Copies of academic transcripts
- Statement of financial resources available to support this program
- TOEFL/IELTS score
- An oral interview may be required
All applicants from countries where English is not the official language are required to submit the scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Preference will be given to applicants with a TOEFL score of 95 internet-based or higher or an IELTS score of 7.0 or higher. Test must be taken within two years of program term of entry (August).
Admission to the JSD program is for the fall semester only.
Fall 2014 Applications Accepted: Beginning January 31, 2014
Fall 2014 Application Deadline: March 1, 2014