The University of Illinois College of Law Study Abroad program provides JD students with the opportunity to spend one semester at partner schools outside the United States in order to gain comparative perspectives, to pursue particular subject interests, and to acquire background and experience for international practice. Credits earned from Illinois Law Study Abroad programs can count towards the JD degree. Current Illinois Law partner countries include Argentina, Australia, Belgium, China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Korea, The Netherlands, Portugal, Singapore, Spain and Sweden.
These programs are open to law students who have completed their first year of study (30 credit hours). A full course load must be taken during the study abroad semester (minimum 12 credits). To be eligible to participate, the student must be in good standing and carry a minimum GPA of 3.0. Selected courses must meet American Bar Association requirements and are subject to the approval of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. At some schools courses in English may be limited.
The application deadline for fall semester study abroad is February 15, and the deadline for spring semester study abroad is September 15. To apply, visit the University Study Abroad website and search for the program listed below. There is a non-refundable $25 application fee.
If you are interested in studying abroad or have questions about the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
College of Law Exchange Programs
Study Abroad for College of Law J.D. students is available at the following universities. Per American Bar Association reporting requirements, the College of Law generally cannot have more than two students at any single institution in any academic year.
- Universidad Catolica Argentina (UCA) – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- University of San Andres – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- University of New South Wales (UNSW) – Sydney, Australia
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (KUL) – Leuven, Belgium
- Fundaҫão Getulio Vargas – São Paulo (FGV – São Paulo) – São Paulo, Brazil
- Peking University – Beijing, China
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University – Shanghai (Koguan Law School) – Shanghai, China
- Tsinghua University – Beijing, China
- Universite De Cergy-Pontoise – (UCP – Cergy) – Cergy, France
- EBS Law School – Weisbaden, Germany
- Friedrich-Schiller-Uniiversität – Jena, Germany
- University of Potsdam – Potsdam, Germany
- Jindal Global Law School – Delhi, India
- National Law University, Delhi – New Delhi, India
- National Academy of Legal Studies and Research – Hyderabad, India
- Keio Law School – Tokyo, Japan
- Waseda School of Law – Tokyo, Japan
- Ewha Womans University – Seoul, Korea
- Kangwon National University – Chuncheon, Korea
- Yonsei University – Seoul, Korea
- Tilburg Law School, Tilburg University – Tilburg, The Netherlands
- Católica Global School of Law (UCP) – Lisbon, Portugal
- Singapore Management University (SMU) – Singapore
- National University of Singapore (NUS) – Singapore
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) – Barcelona, Spain
- Stockholm University – Stockholm, Sweden