The legal profession of the twenty-first century is a global one that requires individuals to be comfortable both in their home and non-home environments. The University of Illinois College of Law provides the opportunity for advanced JD students to develop this global awareness through semester-long programs at foreign partner schools. These programs allow students to experience at first hand the legal system, culture, and environment of another country while continuing progress towards the JD degree.
The University of Illinois College of Law Study Abroad program provides JD students with the opportunity to spend one semester at partner schools outside the United States. Credits earned from Illinois Law Study Abroad programs can count towards the JD degree. Current Illinois Law partner countries include Argentina, Australia, Belgium, China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Korea, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain and Sweden.
These programs are open to law students who have completed their first year of study (30 credit hours). A full course load must be taken during the study abroad semester (minimum 12 credits). To be eligible to participate, the student must be in good standing and carry a minimum GPA of 3.0. Selected courses must meet American Bar Association requirements and are subject to the approval of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. At some schools courses in English may be limited. The College of Law Academic Advisor for Study Abroad is the Associate Dean for Graduate and International Legal Studies.
The application deadline for fall semester study abroad is February 15, and the deadline for spring semester study abroad is September 15. To apply, visit the University Study Abroad website and search for the program listed below. There is a non-refundable $25 application fee.
In addition to completing the online application, students must provide to the Graduate and International Legal Studies Office:
- Provide a statement of purpose describing how your study abroad experience will impact your academic and legal career.
- Provide a copy of your most recent résumé.
- Provide the names of two professors who can be used as recommenders (recommendation letters are not necessary).
- Meet with Dean Vermillion to discuss how study abroad fits into your legal education.
- Meet with your career counselor to discuss what study abroad might mean for your career goals.
If you are interested in studying abroad or have questions about the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
College of Law Exchange Programs
Study Abroad for College of Law J.D. students is available at the following universities. Per American Bar Association reporting requirements, the College of Law generally cannot have more than two students at any single institution in any academic year.
- Universidad Catolica Argentina (UCA) – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- University of San Andres – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- University of New South Wales (UNSW) – Sydney, Australia
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (KUL) – Leuven, Belgium
- Fundaҫão Getulio Vargas – São Paulo (FGV – São Paulo) – São Paulo, Brazil
- Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS) – Porto Alegre, Brazil
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica De Valparaiso – Valparaiso, Chile
- Peking University – Beijing, China
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University – Shanghai (Koguan Law School) – Shanghai, China
- Tsinghua University – Beijing, China
- Universidad del Rosario – Bogotá, Colombia
- Universite De Cergy-Pontoise – (UCP – Cergy) – Cergy, France
- EBS Law School – Weisbaden, Germany
- Friedrich-Schiller-Uniiversität – Jena, Germany
- University of Potsdam – Potsdam, Germany
- Christ University – Bangalore, India
- Gujarat National Law University – Gandhinagar, India
- Jindal Global Law School – Delhi, India
- National Law University, Delhi – New Delhi, India
- National Academy of Legal Studies and Research – Hyderabad, India
- Università Degli Studi di Genova – Genova, Italy
- Keio Law School – Tokyo, Japan
- Waseda School of Law – Tokyo, Japan
- Ewha Womans University – Seoul, Korea
- Kangwon National University – Chuncheon, Korea
- Yonsei University – Seoul, Korea
- Tilburg Law School, Tilburg University – Tilburg, The Netherlands
- VU University Amsterdam – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- The University of Bergen – Bergen, Norway
- Católica Global School of Law (UCP) – Lisbon, Portugal
- Singapore Management University (SMU) – Singapore
- National University of Singapore (NUS) – Singapore
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) – Barcelona, Spain
- Stockholm University – Stockholm, Sweden
- National Taiwan University – Taipei City, Taiwan